What autumn offers: A quiet creative work introspection

Saturday, November 14, 2020

What autumn offers A quiet creative work introspection


Autumn energy + creative work introspection

Everyone makes autumn a season of creativity and slow-living. Dressed in cute cotton frock, layered with a knitted cardigan, sipping on hot tea while gazing at the beautiful autumn foliage. These are the things I love yet am not allowed to experience, living in a country where it is summer all year round.

The autumnal equinox marks the start of delving deeper into your soul to find creative energy. 


Autumn is not about new creative pursuits but sometimes it is about understanding your why and sitting down to piece all your work together. For me, this season, although I am not able to enjoy the chilly winds and longer nights, is all the same.

I take this time to reassess myself and my work. This year especially, I will be using the notion of autumn to think about my self-growth. 2020 has been rocky until now. For 11 months, I was in a constant battle to better myself + work, and right now when autumn has made its mark, I want to throw my sword down and just relish in the temporary peace.


"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf


Creating is what I like, this space is my creative space. An atelier that allows me to be creative and experiment with my thoughts + imagination.


What autumn offers A quiet creative work introspection



My writing is not great, I’m not someone who’s gifted with words. I just make it happen with a lot of reading + writing practices.


As I sit down to think, there are so many unaddressed problems with my creative spurts. I have these moments sometimes, like a quick introspection moment. Today is the same, fueled with the energy of autumn (or still summer, in Malaysia. Nevertheless, a great time)— and here is what I found out about my creative works.


1. Inconsistency in my writing style is a struggle to overcome 

My writings sometimes pleases me, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes I write in different tones and rhythms. Where is my consistency? The path to find the perfect blend between my creative style and what others like to read would be tedious and never ending.


2. The stress of not churning out quality content discourages me.

The reason I write is to ramble about things I find difficult to cope with in my daily life. To occupy my mind when monsters lurk. Writing is my escape, yet sometimes I feel stressed and pressured to deliver a quality piece of work.


3. Staying within my niche is confusing. 

I have love for gaming, a little for lifestyle and a lot for self-development and slow living. But sometimes I catch myself drifting from my niche— talking about finances, quick hot travels and fashion. Is this something acceptable for my readers? Or should I just write whatever that pleases me?


What autumn offers A quiet creative work introspection


Although solutions to these problems are something I may have to think about, it won’t hinder me from learning and developing my skills. Perhaps more reading and practicing will guide me along the path. 

Elin Loow wrote a lovely piece on what we should seek to enhance our creative gifts. Read here.

This season of creative work introspection has brought so much awareness about my creative work. It doesn’t matter where you stand, but introspection of your work is something that needs to be done regularly. There may be no autumn in Malaysia— everyday is the same: sunny, hot and sometimes a little rainy but that shouldn’t stop me from accepting what the right time can offer.

Till then,
Melody

What autumn offers A quiet creative work introspection


Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think..

Latest Instagrams

© Atelier By Mel. Design by Eve.